Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library has the following position available:
Position Title: Youth Services District Consultant
Job Classification & Department: Librarian III – 20 hours per week
Supervisor: Executive Director, MC-NPL
Number of Employees Directly Supervised: 2 PT Support Staff shared with Children’s Department
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Exempt
Statement of Responsibilities
Advises youth services librarians, library directors and para-professional staff of both the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library and the public libraries of the Montgomery County Library District on matters related to collection development, reference and reader’s advisory service, programming and administration of service to children and young adults.
Ensures that the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library, in its capacity as District Library Center for the public libraries of Montgomery County, provides leadership, support and coordination for youth services throughout the district. Serves as liaison between youth services librarians at district libraries and the various departments of the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library. Serves as liaison between public libraries of Montgomery County and organizations such as the Intermediate Unit, school districts, head start, social service agencies, and governmental organizations.
General Responsibilities and Examples of Work
Staff supervision and training
Identifies training needs for youth services staff of the Montgomery County District. Plans appropriate training to meet these needs.
Visits district libraries to advise, evaluate and assess the quality of youth services. Provides support and guidance to local youth service librarians and their administrators in areas such as collection development, programming, and services.
Public service responsibilities:
Coordinates District Summer Reading Program in cooperation and coordination with the statewide (national collaborative) reading themes.
Represents the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library in cooperative projects with school districts, intermediate unit and community organizations.
• Coordinates planning for district-wide youth services among all public libraries within the district.
• Acts as a liaison for Montgomery County Library District and the Commonwealth library around services for youth.
• Works with youth services district consultants from the five county South East Region to plan and implement region-wide projects such as a multi-district workshop.
Back office responsibilities
Plans and develops, in partnership with district libraries or by the request of the director, appropriate grant applications for special projects, programs and services.
Coordinates grants involving district wide youth services
• Prepares reports as needed
• Attends department heads meeting of the DLC, continuing education workshops and other meetings as required.
• Serves on staff and board committees as requested by the director.
• Represents District youth services at MC-NPL Board meetings
Qualifications for Employment
Must have M.L.S. from ALA accredited library school. Must have eight years of professional experience in youth services, including a minimum of two years in a supervisory or administrative capacity with a public library.
Valid driver’s license is required for traveling throughout the District and State as necessary
Physical Demands or Requirements (* is used to indicate essential requirements)
• Able to lift or move 25 pounds*
• Able to bend to floor level and/or reach overhead
• Able to stand and/or walk for 30 minutes period of time
• Able to sit for 3 hour period of time*
Manual/physical dexterity requirements
• Able to manipulate keyboard of computer, typewriter or other office equipment*
• Able to manipulate mouse, pointing device or other input device*
• Able to manipulate data cables, cords, connections, or similar power and data devices
• Able to manipulate pages of books, insert and remove disks, manipulate library materials*
• Able to use telecommunication devices to hear and speak with staff and public*
• Able to see, understand and create written material*
Send resume to:
Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library (MC-NPL)
1001 Powell Street
Norristown, PA 19401-3817