- This event has passed.
Basic Skills: Library Services to Children & Youth – Online
December 2, 2019 @ 8:00 am - December 13, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
Library Services to Children & Youth
Discover and share ideas that will bring families, children and teens into the library. Learn why such services are important to your library and your community.After taking this course, participants will:
- understand why library service to young children is important.
- be able to plan and execute a story time program.
- be able to use professional books to seek out reviews of books and other materials.
- understand how library service to teens is different than service to children or adults and why it is important.
- be able to compile a booklist for a particular topic.
- know what the major children’s book awards are and how to use them as selection guides.
Class starts on December 2, 2019, and all assignments must be completed by December 13, 2019.
This is an online class. Class participants read or view materials, discuss issues in a forum, and complete projects and assignments. The instructor offers feedback and explanations of material. The class is asynchronous — class participants do not need to be online at any particular time; however, there are due dates for assignments, which must be met.
A few days before the class starts, class participants will be sent information about accessing the class.
This is one of the elective modules to fulfill the Basic Skills requirements for Nebraska Librarian Certification. For a complete list of Basic Skills modules, see Basic Skills for Nebraska Librarians Courses.
Basic Skills courses are open only to Nebraska residents or those who are employed by a Nebraska library. The Basic Skills courses are sponsored by the Nebraska Library Commission and Nebraska’s Regional Library Systems.
Class participants who are enrolled in the Nebraska Public Librarian Certification program, and who successfully complete the course will earn 2 CE credit hours.