- This event has passed.
ILOC 2019: Libraries at the Center of Community Life (Webinar)
Want to learn about innovative approaches to community and civic engagement from Iowa and nationwide? Join us for the 2019 edition of Innovative Libraries Online Conference!
With their commitment to meeting citizen needs, libraries seek ways to serve and strengthen their communities. Sometimes, however, the needs rise beyond the conventional realm of library service. Through the strength of non-traditional partnerships, libraries offer innovative solutions to a variety of challenges in their communities. Libraries can become the place for citizens to help shape the community’s future and participate in decision making.
Our morning keynote is Ryan Dowd, the Executive Director of a large homeless shelter outside of Chicago, Illinois. He regularly travels the country training libraries, police departments, schools and other organizations on how to work compassionately with difficult homeless individuals.
Ryan is the author of the ALA book, The Librarian’s Guide to Homelessness.
In his ILOC 2019 Keynote, Ryan will provide insight into:
- A deeper understanding of homeless individuals, particularly the differences they face;
- How punishment works and why it isn’t very effective with homeless patrons;
- The psychology of voluntary compliance;
- Tools of de-escalation and voluntary compliance – how to get people to follow the rules without threats/punishment.
Our evening keynote is Gary Krob, State Data Coordinator in Iowa. In his presentation, “Iowa Population Trends and the Future of Your Library,” Gary will provide:
- An overview of State Data Center;
- A report of the transformation of population and demographics in Iowa;
- A discussion of what this could mean for libraries, and why trustees should be aware of it.
ILOC offers keynote speakers, sessions on a variety of topics, and an evening session designed for trustees. Come and go throughout the day, attending the sessions you’re most interested in. A main goal of ILOC is to replicate the “in-person” conference experience but as a free option with no travel.
Keep your eye on the conference website for more information as it is available.
Sessions will be recorded